Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cedar Cove Series - Debbie Macomber

Debbie Macomber is a goddess. She is able to write novels about a small town community and actually make the reader feel like he/she is a member of that community, walking amongst the characters. She is also an incredibly gifted dialogue writer. As a writer myself, I find her style worth studying; whenever I'm struggling with writing dialogue, I pick up one of these books and just flip to any random page and - boom!- instant tutorial on dialogue writing.

The Cedar Cove series consists of the following novels:
16 Lighthouse Road
204 Rosewood Lane
311 Pelican Court
44 Cranberry Point
50 Harbor Street
6 Rainier Drive
74 Seaside Avenue
8 Sandpiper Way
92 Pacific Boulevard
1022 Evergreen Place
1105 Yakima Street
1225 Christmas Tree Lane

Related Books:
A Cedar Cove Christmas (to be read between 8 Sandpiper Way and 92 Pacific Boulevard)
Hearts Divided

Have you noticed a theme with the titles? Yes, they are all addresses. This is because Debbie Macomber chooses one family (whichever resides at the title's address) to be the main focus of that particular novel. However, each novel involves the other families you meet in the series as well.

The town of Cedar Cove, while fictiona, is based on a real town in Washington and Debbie Macomber does a womderful job of making the town come to life. I cannot stress enough how comfortable it is to read these books - one truly feels like he/she lives in Cedar Cove and is friends with Olivia, Grace, Charlotte, and the gang.

This series is comedic, dramatic, and realistic. You will laugh, you will cry, and you will enjoy every minute of it. I recommend these as excellent beach or vacation reads - anytime you just want to read something that makes you feel like your watching a TV show.

You can find descriptions for each novel here: http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?

Another fun part about this series is its companion website: http://www.cedarcoveseries.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page
This site is set up as though Cedar Cove were a real town. It is really quite interesting and I urge you to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment